Sunday, September 28, 2008

Newyorkification

I have been in New York going on four years now, a long and short four years all at the same time. I am finally genuinely feeling at home and enjoying it. I feel like New York is a place that you will always love and hate. It takes some time to get used to subways, urine smells, hobos outside your apartment, creepy men constantly jeering at you, everything being crowded all of the time, I could go on, but I will stop. There comes a time (for me it was about three years) when you just come to accept these things as "New York," and you appreciate them for what they are.

I don't mean to hate on NYC, which I have done so many times in my years living here, there are myriad of amazing things about this city. For such a small island the city holds so much. I get why people say they never want to leave. There are the greatest museums, amazing restaurants, any interest group you could ever want, central park, and even more. It's sort of like the city you hate living in, but you love visiting so much you don't leave.

I feel like my newyorkification has really set in. I am voting for Obama, I have hit a cab (I hit a cab with my fist because it almost hit me. Yes, it did hurt), and I go to Starbucks at least once a day. I don't think my midwesterness will ever leave me, it still lurks beneath my tough exterior. I still wouldn't even call myself a "New Yorker," but I have embraced this city for what it is and I like it...finally.

No comments: